Robert J. Whitley, Ph.D.
Dr. Whitley has over 30 years of experience in hydrology, statistics, geostatistics, and mathematical modeling.
Ph.D., (Mathematics) New Mexico State University, 1964
M.S., (Mathematics) San Diego State University, 1961
B.A., (Mathematics) San Diego State University, 1959
Hydrologic Statistician, Hromadka & Associates, 2002-present.
Hydrologic Statistician, Integral Consultants, 2001-2002.
Hydrologic Statistician, Exponent Failure Analysis Associates, 1996-2001.
Hydrologic Statistician, Boyle Engineering, 1992-1996.
Hydrologic Statistician, Advanced Engineering Software, 1988-present.
Hydrologic Statistician, Williamson and Schmid Engineering, 1985-1995.
University of California, Irvine, Representative, Mathematics Association of America, 1970-present.
American Geophysical Union.
American Mathematical Society.
Floodplain Management Association.
Mathematical Association of America.
Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics.
Editorial Board, Journal of Floodplain Management, 2000-present.
Academic Board, Computational Hydrology Institute, 1986-present.
American Journal of Mathematics.
American Mathematical Monthly.
American Society of Civil Engineers Journal of
Applied Mathematical Modelling.
Bulletin of the Malaysian Mathematical Society.
Canadian Mathematical Bulletin.
Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements.
Foundation for Research Development of South Africa.
Illinois Journal of Mathematics.
Indian Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics.
Journal of Approximation Theory.
Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics.
Journal of Floodplain Management.
Journal of Hydrological Science and Technology.
Journal of Hydrology.
Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications.
Monatschefte fur Mathematik.
National Academy of Science of India.
National Research Council of Canada.
Numerical Methods for Partial Differential Equations
Pacific Journal of Mathematics.
Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society.
Rocky Mountain Journal of Mathematics.
SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis.
Stochastic Hydrology and Hydraulics.
Transactions of the American Mathematical Society.
Water Resources Research.
1999-2002 Sediment transport analysis at Amtrak train derailment, Kingman, Arizona.
2002 Sediment transport and mud flood on Catalina Island
1998 Sediment and Debris transport analysis of San Sevaine and Etiwanda Creek.
1998 Evaluation of Laguna Lakes and sediment inflow
1997 Failure of 5 concrete dams near Quebec, Canada
1997 PCB Sediment Transport in Mud River, Kentucky
1994-1995 Debris Basins for Orange County Integrated Waste Management Division (IWMD)
1993 Sediment Transport Study for Tijuana River, Mexico.
1990 Tijeras Creek and Arroyo Trabuco Sediment Transport Study
1990 Livingston-Graham Gravel Mining/Arroyo Trabuco Equilibrium Channel
1. Strictly singular operators and their conjugates, Transactions of the Amer. Math. Soc. 113 (1964) 252-261.
2. Conditions under which all the bounded linear maps are compact, with E. Lacey, Mathematische Annalen 158 (1965) 1-5.
3. Operator Representation Theorems, with E. Thorp, Illinois Journal of Math. 9 (1965) 595-601.
4. Projections in the space of bounded linear operators, with D. Arterburn, Pacific Journal of Math. 15 (1965) 739-746.
5. Projecting m onto c , American Math. Monthly 73 (1966) 285-286.
6. An elementary proof of the Eberlein-Smulian theorem, Mathematische Annalen 172 (1967) 116-118.
7. Conull and other matrices which sun a bounded divergent sequence, American Math. Monthly 73 (1967) 798-801.
8. The strong maximum modulus theorem for analytic functions into a Banach space, with E. Thorp, Proceeding of the American Math. Soc. 18 (1967) 640-646.
9. An example concerning reflexivity, with R. Herman, Studia Mathematica 28 (1967) 289-294.
10. The size of the unit sphere, Canadian Journal of Math. 20 (1968) 450-455.
11. The spectral theorem for a normal operator, American Math. Monthly 75 (1968) 856-861.
12. Extreme points in subalgebras of functions vanishing at infinity, Studia Mathematica 32 (1969) 65-72.
13. Local and global subordination theorems for vector-valued analytic functions, with M. Finkelstein, Transactions of the Amer. Math. Soc. 144 (1969) 73-76.
14. A characterization of regular maximal ideals, with C. R. Warner, Pacific Journal of Math. 30 (1969) 277-281.
15. Poincare's conjecture and the distribution of digits in tables, with E. Thorp, Compositio Mathematica 23 (1971) 233-250.
16. Partially bounded sets of infinite width, with E. Thorp, Journal fur die Reine und Angewandte Mathematik 248 (1971) 117-122.
17. Oscillation of an operator, Transactions of the Amer. Math. Soc. 165 (1972) 65-73.
18. Concave utilities are distinguished by their optimal strategies, with E. Thorp, Colloquia Societates Janos Bolyai European Meeting of Statisticians, Budapest (Hungary) 1972, 9 (1974) 813-830.
19. A note on hyponormal operators, Proceeding of the Amer. Math. Soc. 49 (1975) 399-400.
20. The oscillation of an operator, with G. Barnes, Transactions of the Amer. Math. Soc. 211 (1975) 339-351.
21. Limits of generalized polynomials with non-negative coefficients, Journal of Approximation Theory 18 (1976) 50-56.
22. Integrals of continuous functions, with M. Finkelstein, Pacific Journal of Math. 67 (1976) 365-372.
23. Star density curves and the mass density in the neighborhood of the sun, Astronomy and Astrophysics 59 (1977) 329-335.
24. Normal and quasi-normal composition operators, Proceeding of the Amer. Math. Soc. 70 (1978) 114-118.
25. Fibonacci numbers in coin tossing sequences, with M. Finkelstein, Fibonacci Quarterly 16 (1978) 539-542.
26. Functionals on real C(S), with N. Farnum, Canadian Journal of Math. 30 (1978) 490-498.
27. Ideals of finite codimension in C[0,1], with C. R. Warner, Proceedings of the Amer. Math. Soc. 76 (1979) 263-267.
28. Optimal strategies for repeated games, with M. Finkelstein, Advances in Applied Probability 13 (1981) 415-428.
29. Markov and Bernstein's inequalities, and compact and strictly singular operators, Journal of Approximation Theory 34 (1982) 277-285.
30. The Jeans problem for a thin galaxy in steady state, Journal of Astrophysics and Astronomy 3 (1982) 111-123.
31. Discretization for uniform polynomial approximation, Journal of Approximation Theory 41 (1984) 29-38.
32. Seminormal composition operators, with D. Harrington, Journal of Operator Theory 11 (1984) 125-135.
33. Bernstein's asymptotic best bound for the kth derivative of a polynomial, Journal of Math. Analysis and Applications 105 (1985) 502-513.
34. The stability of finite rank methods with applications to integral equations, SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis 23 (1986) 118-134.
35. Computing confidence intervals for floods I, with T. Hromadka II, Microsoftware for Engineers 2 (1986) 138-150.
36. Computing confidence intervals for floods II, with T. Hromadka II, Microsoftware for Engineers 2, (1986) 151-158.
37. The Krein-Smulian theorem, Proceeding of the Amer. Math. Soc. 97 (1986) 376-377.
38. The spectrum of a Volterra composition operator, Integral Equations and Operator Theory 10 (1987) 146-149.
39. Confidence intervals for floods, with T. Hromadka II, Proceeding of Computational Hydrology 87 Conference (1987) A18-A20.
40. A test for accuracy of numerical solutions of steady state heat transfer problems, with T. Hromadka II, Numerical Heat Transfer 11 (1987) 505-509.
41. Estimating 100 year flood confidence intervals, with T. Hromadka II, Advances in Water Resources 10 (1987) 225-227.
42. Best Fredholm perturbation theorems, with M. Schechter, Studia Mathematica, 90 (1988) 175-190.
43. The design storm concept in flood control design and planning, with T. Hromadka II, Stochastic Hydrology and Hydraulics 2 (1988) 213-239.
44. Confidence intervals for flood control design, with T. Hromadka II, Stochastic Hydrology and Hydraulics (1988) 151-155.
45. Uncertainty in model calibration, with T. Hromadka II, Computer Techniques in Environmental Studies, Porto Carras, Greece, September 1988, Springer Verlag (1988) 259-270.
46. Checking flood frequency curves using rainfall data, with T. Hromadka II, Amer. Soc. of Civil Eng. Journal of Hydraulic Engineering 115 (1989) 544-548.
47. Variability in the design storm unit hydrograph model, with T Hromadka II, Hydrosoft 2 (1989) 8-18.
48. Regional confidence intervals for flood, with T. Hromadka II, Software for Engineering Workstations 5 (1989) 184-192.
49. Numerical approximation for linear operator equations using a generalized Fourier series: ordinary and partial differential equations with boundary conditions, with T. Hromadka II, Applied Math. Modelling 13 (1989) 601-614.
50. BOOK. Stochastic Integral Equations and Rainfall-Runoff Models, with T. Hromadka II, Springer-Verlag, 1989.
51. Fuglede's commutativity theorem and, Canadian Math. Bull. 33 (1990) 1-3.
52. Uncertainty estimates for rainfall-runoff models, with T. Hromadka II and R. McCuen, Hydraulics/Hydrology of Arid Lands, San Diego, Calif., July 30-August 2, 1990, Amer. Soc. Civil. Eng. (1990) 323-329.
53. Sensitivity of regional confidence intervals for floods, with T. Hromadka II, Software for Engineering Workstations, 6(1990)147-153.
54. Discretization of Hydrologic Models, with T. Hromadka II, R. McCuen and C. Yen, Hydrological Science and Technology, American Institute of Hydrology 6(1991) 73-92.
55. Unification in estimation of confidence intervals, with T. Hromadka II and J. DeVries, ASCE 18th National Water Resources Conference, New Orleans, Proceedings (1991) 754-758.
56. A probabilistic model to evaluate computer software piracy, with T. Hromadka II, Adv. Eng. Software (1991) 206-210.
57. Error bounds for numerical solution of partial differential equations, with T. Hromadka II, Numerical Methods for Partial Differential Equations (1991) 339-346.
58. Evaluating uncertainty in design storm runoff predictions, with T. Hromadka II, Water Resources Research (1991) 2779-2784.
59. Complex variable element solution of potential flow problem using Taylor series for error analysis, with T. Hromadka II, App. Math. Modelling (1992) 114-123.
60. Development of confidence interval estimates for predictions from a rainfall-runoff mode, with T. Hromadka II, R. McCuen, and C. Yen, Environmental Software (1992) 61-72.
61. Computer program to compute pressure forces in pipe flow junctions, with T. Hromadka II, Advances in Engineering Software 15 (1992) 27-32.
62. Applications of a graphics data base management system: computerized master plan of drainage, with T. Hromadka, R. Harryman, and M. Braksator, Envirosoft '92, Computer Techniques in Environmental Studies IV, Southampton, England, Computational Mechanics Press (1992) 805-818.
63. Testing for non-zero skew in maximum discharge runoff data, with T. Hromadka II, Water Resources Research 29 (1993) 531-534.
64. Expansion of the CVBEM into a series using intelligent fractals (IFs), with T. Hromadka II, Proceedings, BEM 15 (published in Abstracts and Newsletters), Cambridge Mass XV (1993) 571-578.
65. Expansion of the CVBEM into a series using fractals, with T. Hromadka, Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements 12 (1993) 17-20.
66. Expanding the CVBEM approximation in a series, with T. Hromadka II, Applied Numerical Math. 11 (1993) 509-516.
67. The best approximation method applied to three dimensional steady state heat transport, with T. Hromadka II, Advances in Engineering Software 16 (1993) 47-51.
68. Hydraulic junction probabilistic analysis for a hydrologic confluence, with T. Hromadka II and C. Yen,
Proceedings: Stochastic and Statistical Methods in Hydrology and Environmental Engineering, June 21-23, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Canada, (1993) (preconference proceedings, unpaged, to be published by Springer Verlag)
69. Evaluating the effect of land development on sediment transport using a probabilistic density function, with T. Hromadka, Journal of Floodplain Management 2 (2001) 1-7
70. A computer model to evaluating the effect of land development on sediment transport, with T. Hromadka II, Stochastic Hydrology and Hydraulics 7 (1993) 102-108.
71. Numerical solutions of the Dirichlet problem via a density theorem, with T. Hromadka II, Numerical Methods for Partial Differential Equations 10(1994) 369-381.
72. Complex logarithms, Cauchy Principal Values, and the Complex Variable Boundary Element Method, with T. Hromadka II, Applied Mathematical Modelling 18 (1994) 423-428.
73. A stochastic integral equation analog of rainfall-runoff processes for evaluating modelling uncertainty, with T. Hromadka II, Stochastic Hydrology and Hydraulics 8(1994) 259-268.
74. The rational method for peak flow rate estimation, with T. Hromadka II, Water Resources Bull. (1994) 1001-1009.
75. Rational-Method equations and HEC TD-15, with T. Hromadka II, a) ASCE Journal of Irrigation and Drainage (1996) 15-18, and b) Reprinted in Water Resources Journal, United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific, ST/ESCAP/SER.C/191 (1996) 47-51.
76. The existence of approximate solutions for two dimensional potential flow problems, with T. Hromadka II, Numerical Methods for Partial Differential Equations 12 (1996) 719-727.
77. Approximating rainfall-runoff modelling response using a stochastic integral equation, with T. Hromadka II. Hydrological Processes 10(1996) 1003-1019.
78. A new formulation for developing CVBEM approximation functions, with T. Hromadka II, Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements 18 (1996) 39-41.
79. Chapter 8: Approximating rainfall-runoff response using a stochastic integral equation, with T. Hromadka II, in Environmental Modeling, Volume 3, Computational Mechanics Publications, Southhampton, UK, and Boston, USA (1996) 235-275.
80. Chowdhury and Stedinger's approximate confidence intervals for design floods for a single site, with T. Hromadka II, Stochastic Hydrology and Hydraulics 11(1997) 51-63.
81. Fractal basis functions and the CVBEM, with T. Hromadka II, Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements 20 (1997) 337-339.
82. Norms of powers of the Volterra operator, with N. Lao, Integral Equations and Operator Theory 27(1997) 419-425.
83. BOOK. Advances in the Complex Variable Boundary Element Method, with T. Hromadka II, Springer-Verlag, 1998.
84. Approximate confidence intervals for design floods for a single site using a neural network, with T. Hromadka II, Water Resources Research 35 (1999) 203-209.
85. On the existence of approximate solutions to mixed boundary value problems, with T. Hromadka II, Numerical Methods for Partial differential equations 15 (1999) 191-199.
86. On the formalization of unit-hydrograph and link-node hydrograph-routing systems, with T. Hromadka II, Journal of Hydrology 223 (1999) 66-84.
87. Computing approximate confidence intervals for design floods, with T. Hromadka II, Journal of Floodplain Management 1 (1999) 23-29.
88. A computer model to evaluate the effect of land development on sediment transport, Journal of Floodplain Management 2 (2001) 39-45.
89. A general complex variable boundary element method, with T. Hromadka II, Numerical Methods for Partial Differential Equations, 17 (2001) 332-225.
90. Approximating three-dimensional potential problems on a sphere using the complex variable boundary element method, with T. Hromadka II, to appear in the Journal of Computational Mechanics.
Copyright © 2002-2018 Hromadka & Associates * ALL RIGHTS RESERVED